Home       About Me       Review Archive

Friday, January 6, 2017

Stacking the Shelves: Holiday 2016 Edition

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews to showcase books that I have received for review, bought, borrowed, been gifted, or won to read.


Happy New Year! It's been a year since I participated in the Stacking the Shelves meme to show off my 2015 holiday book haul. I'm super excited and grateful for the books I got over the 2016 holiday season so I thought I would show them off as well:


To start off, a few books I received pre-holidays from the work I do as a bookkeeper for my dad's company:
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas - I ordered this shortly after completing Queen of Shadows, which I loved. I will hopefully get to reading this soon - certainly before the final Throne of Glass book comes out this year!

Leuchtturm1917 Dotted Hardcover Notebook (A5), Royal Blue - In the tail end of 2016, I decided to try my hand at bullet journalling and quickly fell in love. I've always been a planner and list-maker, but have always done so digitally - to varied success. With bullet journalling, there's something about planning in analog that just works for me and has been keeping me on track and motivated to be productive. So I decided to treat myself to a pretty new journal for the new year!

Holiday Gifts:
The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta - from Ambur of Burning Impossibly Bright
I've only read one Melina Marchetta book before - Jellicoe Road - and I found it to be so beautiful and impactful. So I'm looking forward to my next Marchetta read!

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson - from Sara of Just Another Story
I have heard nothing but the most amazing things about this author and this book and so I am stoked to read this!

Uprooted by Naomi Novik - from Micheline of Lunar Rainbows
Here's another one that seemingly everyone loved. I just KNOW that this one will end up being a favourite fantasy of mine!

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - from in-laws
My in-laws both loved this book a lot and thoughtfully thought I would like it as well.


As with last year, I can't help but feel SO lucky to have so many people in my life who are so thoughtful and know my reading tastes so well! I expect 2017 will be a good year in books for me :)

22 comments :

  1. Happy new year! =D

    Yay to bullet journal-ing! Love the royal blue.

    Nooooo, Aylee! You have to read Saving Francesca before The Piper's Son. It's set 5 years before and it's essential to be read before!

    I so need to read I'll Give You the Sun and Uprooted myself. I'd look forward to your thoughts on The Goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that so?? I just assumed you could read them as standalones, but I do generally like to read books in chronological order. So perhaps I will find Saving Francesca at the library first...

      Delete
  2. I just finished Empire of Storms and I loved it. I love all things Maas. Uprooted might have been my favorite book I read last year. LOVED it. And the Goldfinch is spectacular. Great haul!!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear that you loved all three so much!!

      Delete
  3. I have a planner this year, but I have heard good things about bullet journaling. I'm so glad to hear it's working for you! I'll Give You the Sun is a book I've read and loved, so I hope you do too!

    I actually have all of your Christmas goodies; I've just been slacking on packing them up and getting them in the mail. Is the address the same? Feel free to email me if it should go somewhere else since I'm so behind!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will PM you over Twitter!

      Bullet journalling has been really working for me - other planner systems seem good too!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! I love your Leuchtturm1917 - I bullet journal as well, but I'm using a regular squared notebook at the moment. Will definitely have to invest in one next year! You got loads of great books as well, I really hope you enjoy Empire of Storms (if you've liked the series so far, I think you will). I've always heard great things about The Piper's Son as well - I've not read it, but I have read Saving Francesca, which I really enjoyed. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, it seems like basically everyone is bullet journalling these days, heh. I hope I enjoy Empire of Storms too, though I know it wasn't everyone's favourite!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, nice bullet journal. I'm giving it an "official" go this year as well. AND I got 'Uprooted' as a gift as well! Nice. Happy new year, and I hope 2017 is a great year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see that you just posted about your bullet journal!

      Delete
  6. Ohhhhh, I love the colour of your Leuchtturm (I have a boring black one- me think I need to branch out). I got into bullet journaling this year as well. I am also a list maker and love planning and writing things down- Stationary is my love.

    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, and the books. Ack, Eilidh, I am SO nervous about Empire of Storms, I haven't read it yet, because I am SO nervous. Good luck with it. The Piper's Son- loved it. I am SO excited for you to read I'll Give You the Sun- I really really hope you enjoy it (if you don't, I'm sorry).

    Happy New Year Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I can appreciate a healthy love of stationary :D And you could always decorate your black bullet journal with stickers or something.

      I'm a bit nervous about Empire of Storms too because I've heard the ending is killer... But I won't be able to resist reading it for long! And No worries, I'm sure I will enjoy I'll Give You the Sun!

      Delete
  7. I have not gotten a bullet journal. You got some great books.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard so many good things about The Goldfinch! I really want to check it out. I hope you enjoy your new additions!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Leuchtturm in Royal Blue is so pretty! It was one of the colours I was thinking about, but I decided on the light blue one in the end. I truly hope you will share some of your pages, I can't wait to see them!

    Uprooted is great, I hope you love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for Uprooted! I hope you enjoy all your books. I haven't gotten into bullet journaling, but I love the idea and I'm excited for you and your new pretty blue book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! Love the color of your new journal. There is something satisfying about writing down a list and then crossing it off. It makes it official I guess and you can really how productive you've been. Here's to being productive in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Aylee! You're going to love Uprooted! My goal is to read one Marchetta book this year; everyone I know seems to rave about her books but I have yet to read anything by her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 2017 my friend ♥ I can't help but think that I want to try journaling too (even though my handwriting is pretty poor) Recording in analogue seems so much more satisfying and significant that doing so digitally. I hope you love all the lovely books you got over the Holidays too - especially EoS and Uprooted since they're the only two I've read :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really loved Uprooted! I hope you will love it too. Great haul! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a smaller dotted Leuchtturm to experiment with too. Goldfinch has been waiting on my tbr pile and looking forward to getting to it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohh, pretty picture :D Looks like a bunch of gorgeous books too. <3 Happy reading Aylee :) I hope you will love them all. Yay :D Sadly, I really didn't like Uprooted at all :( Aw. But hope you do. <3

    ReplyDelete