Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, October 24, 2016

Muggle Monday: Fantastic Beasts News Catch-Up

It's time for Muggle Monday, in which I highlight something from the Harry Potter world. This is somewhat inspired by the Mundane Monday posts by The Mundie Moms.

But let's be real as to why I made up this feature: I just want the opportunity to post something about Harry Potter.


There is less than one month left until Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is released in theatres (November 18) so it seems like a good time to catch up on the major news from the last few months:

There Will Be Five Fantastic Beasts Films


You heard right: there will be a total of FIVE Fantastic Beasts movies written by J.K. Rowling. Originally slated to be a trilogy of movies, it was recently announced that two additional movies are needed to complete the story. I'm choosing to view this as a genuine attempt to tell the story well, and NOT just a complete cash-grab as some people are suggesting.

And I'm super excited for this because not only will we be seeing even more from Newt Scamander and co., but these movies will be exploring the rise of the dark wizard, Grindelwald. We learned some hints about Grindelwald in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but now we will get to learn about his backstory in earnest as it seems he may be the main villain of the Fantastic Beasts movies.


New Pottermore Writing Reveals History of Ilvermorny and MACUSA

J.K. Rowling has posted some extensive writings on Pottermore revealing the fascinating histories of North American Wizarding School Ilvermorny and the U.S. Ministry of Magic MACUSA.


Not only do these writings provide important context for the Fantastic Beasts movies, they're also fascinating lore in their own right, written in Jo's typical style of storytelling. In them we learn of the saga of the beginning of Ilvermorny (which could be easily fleshed out into its own novel IMO), and we also learn that a Potter family member was one of the first 12 Aurors that made up the law enforcement of MACUSA.


Find Out Your Ilvermorny House On Pottermore

In addition to the oodles of background history to learn about Ilvermorny, Pottermore also has more information about the Ilvermorny houses and a sorting quiz.
The Ilvermorny Houses are Horned Serpent, Pukwudgie, Thunderbird, and Wampus:
It is sometimes said of the Ilvermorny Houses that they represent the whole witch or wizard: the mind is represented by Horned Serpent; the body, Wampus; the heart, Pukwudgie and the soul, Thunderbird. Others say that Horned Serpent favours scholars, Wampus, warriors, Pukwudgie, healers and Thunderbird, adventurers.
And as for me, I was sorted into Horned Serpent! What Ilvermorny House were you sorted into?



Final Fantastic Beasts Trailer Has Been Released


This final Fantastic Beasts trailer truly gives audiences a taste of what to expect in theatres come November 18. In addition to being introduced to a whole new cast of characters, I am also looking forward to seeing more from New York in the 1920s and all the fantastic new magical beasts. What are you most looking forward to seeing in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them?

11 comments :

  1. I'm looking forward to the new characters and setting. I have to remind myself that it takes place in the US and not in England unlike the other HP movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a completely new setting, place-wise and time-wise. And that's something that is making me all the more curious and excited about it!

      Delete
  2. I will take anything at all from J.K. Rowling so I'm excited about all the films. I think they do believe they are needed. I can't really see them expanding past a trilogy for NO reason. Ooh seeing Grindlewald would be great. It would be kind of cool if they showed Dumbledore and him, you know? I can't wait for Fantastic Beasts though! I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you: I'm choosing to see this as a genuine bid to tell the story well and fully so I'm excited. Anything set in the Wizarding World and told by J.K. is worth it in my book. Newt sounds like a truly wonderful character and I'm looking forward to exploring a new setting even though London will always be my favorite ♥

    I was sorted into Horned Serpent too - YAY we'll be Housemates :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited about this movie franchise. I am super excited for Eddie- I think he's going to be perfect! I wish I was more into POttermore. I just can't navigate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to the movies, but I'm also a little scared.. What if they don't live up to it? BUT, more about Dumbledore and Grindelwald! I would love to have more information about that part of Dumbledore's life.

    ReplyDelete