Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, August 31, 2015

August Recap: The Biggest Mistake

As I mentioned in my last recap, I didn't think I was going to have a lot of time to blog in August. Well, it turned out even worse than I expected because I ended up having no time at ALL to blog this month. And unfortunately, I'm only going be busier in the month of September (more on that later).


A major factor keeping me down this month was due to a most unfortunate incident and what may be THE biggest and most expensive mistake of my life... I spilled coffee all over my laptop in which all my thesis files are stored (and which I haven't backed up in some time)! F.M.L.
My set-up for drying out my laptop
So yeah. My laptop is currently in the hands of a skilled repairman and I have been without it for over three weeks now. What I consider even more important than my laptop is all of my thesis files, however, and after being scared sh*tless that I had potentially lost all the progress I had made on my thesis these past few months, I am happy to report that the repair guy was recently able to retrieve all the files stored on my laptop's hard-drive.

Unfortunately, this good news comes too late for me and I will no longer be able to defend my thesis and complete my master's degree in the next month as I had hoped. As a result, I will now have to pay another full semester's tuition, in addition to having to buy another laptop, thus making this incident possibly the biggest and most expensive mistake of my life... Life sucks sometimes.

So if you'll excuse me, I'd like to take this moment to preach at all of you: BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER. DO IT NOW. I literally thought about doing it just the day prior to the incident and then I got distracted. Don't let this happen! Think about the consequences of my own stupidity and do it NOW and do it regularly. Because you just never know...


Anyways, I did have some brief periods of fun this month between all this stress. Starting on the 1st of August, it was my birthday! My mum made the last minute decision to fly out east to visit me so I wouldn't be alone on my birthday and we ended up making the best of the long weekend. For my birthday we went to see a production of Kinky Boots in the theatre district and it should go without saying that it was a hella entertaining show:
Kinky Boots!

Also in August, my friend Ambur of Burning Impossibly Bright moved to Toronto to pursue her publishing dreams and I was thrilled to get to hang out with her a few times this month:
Freezie excitement
Happiness! Ambur is so lovely and so easy to talk to. I loved showing her around downtown Toronto and shopping for "grownup" clothes for my new job, and I look forward to more fun times with her in Toronto!


I did have some time to read in August (honestly I needed to read to escape from the stress so I made time for it), but I can't think of one book that stood out as the BEST of the month for me. So here are a few books that I equally enjoyed from August, all solid 4 Star reads, and that I will hopefully be able to review sometime... eventually:


So yes, as I said I don't expect to be super active on the blog for September as I will be trying to make up the time lost not working on my thesis due to my computer issues. And then there's my new job...

I haven't shared much about it because it's still so surreal to me that I've been given this opportunity: this fall I will be a course instructor at the university, lecturing 3 hours a week to 150 students. I'm obviously hugely under-qualified for this job (they wanted someone with a PhD and a teaching degree and instead they're getting some schlub who hasn't even finished her master's degree), so I was clearly the only one who applied for the job. It's going to be a lot of work for very little pay (the university doesn't have to pay grad students very much - see my post about the grad student strike from earlier on this year), but I am prepared to put my everything into this position. So in addition to completing my thesis and working on a conference talk, I have been preparing lectures, exams, and assignments for the semester. I am both extremely excited and extremely terrified by the responsibility I have been given for this job! But it will likely result in less blog posting for the remainder of the year. I will be doing my best to catch up with all my blog friends in the months to come though! Miss you guys, lots and lots!!

Previously, my July Recap: The Long Overdue Harry Potter Reread

40 comments :

  1. Oh SHIT, that is some bad luck you had there girl :( It's at least a relief that you could retrieve your files, but damn. I'm sorry! And look at you, a course instruction. Great job and I wish you all the luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, SHIT indeed! But shit happens and you just have to deal with it. Really, it's such a first world problem anyways... I am going to try to appreciate the things that are going well in my life and how lucky I am instead :) Thanks, Mel!

      Delete
  2. OMG!!!! I have posted like 3 reviews in August because studies... aghhhhh!!! I'll also be posting very less in September too!! :)
    P.S: I'll miss your WoW posts!! :(
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's sweet of you to say, Haniya! Stupid studies! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Aylee, I'm so, so very sorry about the horrible luck you had this past month with your laptop and thesis D: You are incredibly lucky though that your thesis could be retrieved but MAN. Another whole semester, more tuition fees to pay and just the stress of it all. If I lived closer to you I would run over to hug you! Ugh!

    Well, with that said, I'm glad that you got some enjoyment in August all the same! Happy belated birthday! I would say that if I'd know, I'd have sent you something, but my August was basically me working a (temporary) shitty job just to get by and pay my bills while a position in my field opened up (which I started yesterday) so I would have been too poor in any case LOL I hope you had a fabulous birthday, YAY for your mom visiting and YAY for hanging out with blogger friends :D Here's to a much better September and BEST of luck with your awesome course instructor job!!!! You'll be awesome ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, hugs! Thank you, Miche!! It was a crappy thing to have happened, but I'm doing fine now! Congrats on the new job too!!

      Delete
  4. Aylee, ohmygoodness. That's the most horrible thing that could ever happen to a college/university student! You're very lucky the repair guy could retrieve your old work. *hugs* I wish you best of luck teaching!! I think you'll do great :)

    Aside from that bummer, it looks like you had a pretty good month in August! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on The Martian once you get the review up. Here's to a fabulous September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, maybe not the most horrible thing that could have happened, but certainly not very lucky. Thanks, Jen!! :)

      Delete
  5. OMG, Aylee. My jaw dropped when I saw the picture of your laptop. I immediately thought of your thesis and relieved to hear that the serviceman was able to retrieve your files. Ugh, sorry the most of August was not very nice to you.

    Good luck on your new job! You'll do great. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Rummanah :) I'm going to be just fine now, I think - especially with such great support :)

      Delete
  6. I am soooo sorry about the laptop! Crossing my fingers that everything can be saved. That's amazing about the teaching gig! I am sure you will be fantastic!!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was saved, yay! And thank you, Kate!!

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry about your laptop! Wishing you all the best, that's such a horrible thing to happen. I'm glad you were at least able to retrieve your files. Congrats on your job though! Good luck, though I'm sure it will all go well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, that's awful about your computer and not being able to graduate this semester. I'm so glad the files were able to be retrieved at the VERY LEAST. You gotta take the positives! Congrats on the job though - that's fantastic! I know you will be great, and all of us bloggy friends will be thinking of you! :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I got to look at all the positives, you're absolutely right!! Thanks, Lauren :D

      Delete
  9. Oh man! That's a rough month. {hugs}

    That happened to my husband's laptop too - with important work files.

    Sending you positive September energy!!!!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still so glad that your files are okay at least, but it's too bad about your laptop! :( Make sure to look through the U of T's website to see if they offer deals though. I know Ryerson can get your student deals with Apple or other laptop providers, so hopefully U of T does, too, so maybe you can find a deal that's pretty good!!! And it seriously sucks that you're going to have to pay for another semester in order to defend your thesis...sometimes academia sucks that way!

    And I'm soooooo glad that I can hang out with you now, too!!!! :D I've loved being able to catch up with you lately, and it's definitely helped cheer me up when I've been missing home. :) I hope that September is better for you Eilidh, and that we get to meet up at least a couple of times during it!! Good luck with your new job! You're going to do amazing, and you'll look fantastic in the new grown up clothes you got! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a pretty good student deal at the Apple Store thankfully! I'm so thankful for all the advice and support and company you've provided to me over the past month, Ambur! I'm just so happy to have you as a friend!!

      Delete
  11. MAN! I am so, so sorry that happened to you. It's amazing -- terrifying, rather -- how life can go from plain sailing to something awful in just one moment; just one coffee spill!

    I wish you much good luck with your thesis and with your new job. It may not pay much but you'll prove to the university what a hard worker you are; no doubt this will be the preclude to a great career ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it's crazy how life can change in an instant. Best to look on the bright side as much as possible even when something bad gets shoved your way! Thanks, Emily <3

      Delete
  12. Okay Lady, can we talk for a minute about how cool of an opportunity your new gig is! Freaking amazing! You are going to be a rock star and your students are going to love you! I am terribly sorry to hear about your laptop- that must have been royally stressful (and maybe still is), I am glad to hear that your thesis notes were saved!

    While I will miss seeing your blog posts (I read everyone- even if it's weeks later). I am very excited about your new life adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY COOL. I know it! I'm still in utter disbelief that this is actually happening... I hope they like me as a teacher... I know I'm going to try my best to be worthy of being liked by them and respected as a good teacher!

      Delete
  13. Poor you! That really sucks. Glad you still had some happy times in August :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, it sucks that you have to pay for another semester of tuition! On a positive side, does this mean you get more time to work on your thesis then ... since you're going to be so busy anyway?

    I know you're going to be a fabulous instructor! We're going to have to catch up so that you can tell me all your problems of dealing with university-aged students and I can tell you what it's like teaching elementary kids as a brand new teacher, lol.

    Oh, and a happy (very) belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is definitely the positive out of this. I probably would have been rushed to finish the thesis otherwise and likely wouldn't have been satisfied with the product.

      Thanks, Zahida!! :D

      Delete
  15. Oh no! I'm happy you were able to fit in some fun this month, but I'm so sad for you about your laptop! I'm really glad they were able to retrieve your files though and appreciate the PSA. Grad students should definitely back up their work and probably everyone else too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please back up all of the work you've made on your PhD thesis thus far!! And regularly!

      Delete
  16. I'm sorry about the laptop but glad to hear the archives were recovered!! sucks about the timing, though!!
    *hugs and gives a million cookies*

    Congrats on the job! I'm sure you will be a brilliant Professor! As a teacher - to high school brats - I can only say to you: ORGANIZE. It's the only way to survive teaching with your sanity intact, though I expect college teaching is a bit different than high school science.

    In the end, I'm sure your thesis will knock everyone's socks off and have other thesis whimper in the corner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Alex <3 Thank you! I'm doing fine now. I am definitely getting the impression of how important it is to organize and have everything written down just in case. I hope I am as good as the high view you have of me as a prof! *HUGS!!*

      Delete
  17. Aw, missed your blogging. <3 But understand about being busy :D Hope you had a great August. <3 Despite that whole laptop thing o.O Oh my gosh. SO AWFUL. I'm so sorry for you. But yay for them being able to get your files :) But yeah. I would die if that happened to my laptop, lol :p I have SO MUCH on it. I save everything, lol. Anyway. Hope you have a great September so far sweet girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carina :) Good to hear you save everything! That's the way to do it, and regularly.

      Delete
  18. OMG. I've been cut off from the internet so I've missed a lot and wow...I am so sorry to hear about your laptop but thank god that you didn't lose your files!!! I would've sobbed like a newborn in your situation. And while it's a shame that you have to pay for an extra semester, at least you don't have to research from scratch! Chin up, buttercup!

    And I don't doubt that you're qualified for the position! And don't even think that! There are plenty of people who have tons of degrees but they can't teach for shit! (Pardon the cursing ;P). I'm sure you'll be amazing at it :)

    Best of luck to you with your new job and to completing your thesis! KICK 2015 IN THE GROIN, AYLEE YOU GOT DIS GURL >:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't sob, but I was quite distraught! But you're absolutely right, everything is going to be okay because I have those files. Thaaannnkk you, Sandy!! That is so kind of you to say. I will do my utmost to live up to that!!

      Delete
  19. OH NO! Aylee, I saw your Instagram and then came to your post (which... didn't show up in my feed, actually. HMM.), and I am so sorry that this happened! I've had a few laptoppy issues in my time and they are. so. darn. stressful. Those moments where you don't know whether all your work is lost? They are some really gosh darn awful moments. And with all your thesis work at stake it must really have been awful. I'm so glad you were able to rescue the work, at least.

    Congratulations on your job! It sounds super, super exciting, if nervewracking. I can't imagine it at all, but I'm so very happy for you. And Kinky Boots? That must have been epic. The film alone is brilliance. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness Aylee - I am so, so sorry to hear this! I cannot even imagine having had this happen to me when I was working on my thesis and graduating a semester later as a result sucks, so you have my fullest sympathies.
    I definitely do not back up my computer like I should, but one thing I will say in benefit of PCs is that my tablet and computer have the shared OneDrive, which I guess is a cloud-based storage system, so I save my currently using files on there so that I can access them via the internet on any of my registered devices. Though it looks like you're more of a Mac person. Maybe Apple will create something similar eventually?
    Congrats about the teaching position! That's definitely an exciting opportunity and something good in the midst of all these headaches for you, at least.
    And good luck with everything!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no, I'm so sorry about your computer! And about the thesis defense delay... that really sucks, but I'm so glad the repair person was able to retrieve your files. But also, congrats on your new job. It can be really hard to break into teaching at the university level so that's a huge big deal that you should be way proud of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those times when you feel that you have commented on a post, but then you realize that you just commented in your head, not in reality. That's what happened to me with this post when I read it in my email and thought I replied, but turns out, I hadn't.

    Anyway, I feel for you! Having your hard work lost is the most tragic event ever. I hope your computer got fixed and that you have all your work with you.

    You seem to have had some fun during the month as well, and that's great to know!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete