Home       About Me       Review Archive

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Review: Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas

Publisher: Bloomsbury
Published: September 2, 2014
Pages: 562
Source: Bought
Rating: 5 Stars


She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.

Celaena Sardothien has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak—but at an unspeakable cost. Now she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth...a truth about her heritage that could change her life—and her future—forever.

Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. To defeat them, Celaena must find the strength to not only fight her inner demons but to battle the evil that is about to be unleashed.

In short: I loved every piece of Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas, just like I KNEW I would.
At this point, anything I say about the Throne of Glass Series is just going to be incredibly repetitive, I think. Because how many different ways can I write about how much I love fierce-yet-vulnerable Celaena and Sarah J. Maas' knack for writing intense heart-pounding action scenes and prose that puts me through an insane roller coaster of emotions? That's how it's been for all the previous books, that's how it was for Heir of Fire, and that's how it's going to be for every sequel to come, I'm sure.

So this review is going to be short. But I still feel the need to make it known: I loved every piece of Heir of Fire and Sarah J. Maas is a downright genius in my mind for continuing to pump out such completely engaging stories with some of the most memorable characters and the ability to evoke such a wide array of passionate feelings. What's more is, at no point will this ever feel repetitious because Sarah also brings MORE new mythology and heightened intensity and enigmatic characters to every subsequent book. Case in point: Rowan Whitethorn and Manon Blackbeak, as first introduced in Heir of Fire, are two of my most favourite characters of the series now (don't worry though, no one will ever replace Celaena).

So yes, I mean OF COURSE I loved Heir of Fire. There was never any doubt in my mind that I wouldn't love it as I've now reached the point where I really don't think Sarah J. Maas could do wrong in my mind. I am a Forever Fan of hers and the Throne of Glass Series now. And I'm so excited that I only have a few more months until I get to read Queen of Shadows!!

Previously, my reviews of The Assassin's Blade, Throne of Glass, and Crown of Midnight.

Other Reviews:
Lunar Rainbows
My Precious
Where the Writer Comes to Write

Author Links:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

15 comments :

  1. I have seriously heard only good stuff about this series, and it's so good to know that you feel the same. It's just awesome when a series you've loved ends up making you love it more. This is not my type of a read, but if and when I get the chance, I promise I won't hesitate to give it a try. Amazing review, Aylee!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know it's not your usual type of read, Sarika, but if you're ever looking to change things up a bit, then I feel like the Throne of Glass series would be a good place to start! It really is pretty awesome :)

      Delete
  2. Of course, I've been looking forward to your review since you told me you started this one. You didn't come off as repetitive at all here, but even if you had, I would have gobbled it all up because I LIVE for Throne of Glass/SJM love! Seriously, Maas can do no wrong and my fangirlish love for Celaena knows no bounds. I'm incredibly happy that you felt the same way as I did about this one! Queen of Shadows can NOT get here fast enough :D

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I should have known you felt that way. I just meant, I felt like I could probably just copy and paste my review for Crown of Midnight here and no one would be any the wiser. But I agree, that we can never have a shortage of Sarah J. Maas love! Only a few more months to go until Queen of Shadows!!

      Delete
  3. Yay I'm so glad you liked Heir of Fire! I feel like Celaena went through a lot in this book and her character has developed so much from book one. And of course, there was Rowan, who I just adored. I must say I wasn't as huge a fan of Manon as everyone else, but probably because I don't yet see where she fits into the story. I am intrigued to see what she does next though. Can't wait for Queen of Shadows :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celaena goes through a lot in every book, poor girl. With Manon, I think it was more that I liked the story of her clan and the wyverns. It was interesting to me.

      Delete
  4. WOO HOO AYLEE! I feel the same way, my reviews for this series are getting repetitive, there are only so many ways to gush about the brilliant characters and world-building. I couldn't love Celaena more if I tried, and while I know happiness is a ways away for her yet, I love that each book shows how strong she is:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah. But I love gushing reviews :) And yes all praise Celaena and all hail SJM for making her so inspirational and strong!

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I’ve got this book in my TBR pile, and I still want to read it… I have been reading so many raving reviews about it... :) Nice review on your part, though.
    Haniya,
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You should def get to it before Queen of Shadows releases!

      Delete
  6. Interesting. I’ve got this book in my TBR pile, and I still want to read it… I have been reading so many raving reviews about it... :) Nice review on your part, though.
    Haniya,
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy that you loved this book! I've been holding off reading it so I wouldn't have to wait as long between books, but I'm hoping to start it this week. YAY for more mythology / characters!

    Lovely review :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Endless yays, Aylee! I'm so glad you read this and loved it and can wait as eagerly as me for Queen of Shadows. These books keep getting longer and more intense and it's pretty fantastic, all round. I'm pumped, though, and can only imagine how intense and high my emotions are going to be running. That ending!
    And Manon, and Abraxos (?)- love those two together and individually. Although Manon is terrifying in general.
    Lovely review! And thank you SO MUCH for linking me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm ecstatic that you loved this one? And right, it's so hard writing reviews of books in a series because you either end up loving or hating the entire series - it gets repetitive. Have you read ACOTAR yet, because that may be on its way to becoming my favorite Maas book haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I have heard nothing but awesome stuff about this series, and I'm so glad you love it. It's not something I'd go for, but your praise for the engaging storyline and your excitement for the next book in the series have me wanting to change my mind. Convince me more, and I may just give in. Great review, Aylee!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete