Home       About Me       Review Archive

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Muggle Monday: The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2) Review

It's time for Muggle Monday, in which I highlight a significant piece of news from the Harry Potter franchise. This is somewhat inspired by the Mundane Monday posts by The Mundie Moms.

But let's be real as to why I made up this feature: I just want the opportunity to post something about Harry Potter.


This week, I'm reviewing The Silkworm, the second book in J.K. Rowling's adult mystery series, written under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith:


Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group
Published: June 19, 2014
Pages: 455
Source: Bought
Rating: 5 Stars


When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.
But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.
When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before...

In short: The Silkworm is yet another superbly plotted and unpredictable mystery to add to J.K. Rowling's résumé and I can't wait to read more of Cormoran Strike.
J.K. Rowling was born to write mysteries. She just has this talent for writing intricately plotted, impressive mysteries that always surprise me. She proved unequivocally that she had the talent to run with the best of the mystery writers in The Cuckoo's Calling, the first of the Cormoran Strike Series, written under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith, - in addition to the superb mysteries at the core of the Harry Potter Series - so it was no surprise that she has pulled out another truly fantastic murder mystery for The Silkworm.

In addition to knowing to expect an impressive and unpredictable mystery, with J.K. Rowling we can also count on intricate characterization and genuine characters. Cormoran Strike makes for the perfect lead to a mystery novel. He is gruff and to-the-point as an extremely skilled detective and yet receptive and compassionate to those he cares for and believes in. Robin makes a superb... well, Robin to Strike's Batman, her earnestness as genuine as it is likeable. It's great seeing these two play off each other; they make an excellent team.

You'll have to excuse me for the short review; there really isn't much more to say about this one that I haven't already voiced in my review of The Cuckoo's Calling and without spoiling anything. Just know that The Silkworm has it all: an ingenious and impressively plotted mystery, genuine characters, and of course great writing. J.K. Rowling has already announced that she plans to write more books for the Cormoran Strike Series than she has for the Harry Potter Series - understandable because Cormoran Strike has discrete mysteries rather than an overarching series story - and the prospect of getting to return to these characters time and again for another mystery is one that excites me indeed and is one that I will never get tired of.

Previously, my review of The Cuckoo's Calling.

Author Links:
Website
Twitter
Facebook

17 comments :

  1. Again Aylee, I just skimmed through your review since I need to get on to the series. I have both the first and second book sitting on my shelf looking gorgeous with the other JKR books. Damn. I NEED TO READ. Five stars from you is enough to convince me. I'm happy that you're loving the series. Great review, girl!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO READ THIS! ^^ I do think you'd love it, but I do understand the feeling of NEEDING to read something and yet not having the time to do it. Thanks, Sarika! I hope you can get to it soon and love it!

      Delete
  2. Reading your review for this one did a good job of reminding me that I NEED to get my hands on The Cuckoo's already! I can't believe I don't even own a copy >.< I feel like a poor JKR fan and that needs to be fixed quickly! Anyways I LOVE that this one impressed you just as much as the first one. Mysteries are always such fun, ESPECIALLY when they actually do end up surprising you! The characters sound rich and layered, just as the plot does. And the fact that JKR will be returning to this series again and again makes it all the more exciting to me :D Fabulous review Aylee ^^ as always! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't own a copy? Oh no, sorry to hear that! But that definitely does NOT make you a poor Jo fan!! I know contemporary isn't your thing, but I can see you liking this one, especially if you are a fan of great mysteries. Thanks, Micheline! I'm sure you'll get to this one in your own time and I really hope you end up loving it when you do!

      Delete
  3. I think Cormoran and Robin make an excellent team, too! I lovde the growth of their friendship in this book. I also really liked the mystery - was so not expecting the gruesomeness! I think I'm ok with more than 7 books, normally I wouldn't be excited at the idea of having more than 7 books in a series as it can get boring, but I really am for this one as I think there is a lot to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! They're definitely my favourite detective team since Sherlock and Watson! I really was not expecting the gruesomeness either... but I thought it was good that Jo just decided to GO there, no holding back. And yeah, I could definitely see how more than 7 books could be written because I have no doubt that Jo will be able to keep it fresh with discrete mysteries every time, just like with Sherlock Holmes.

      Delete
  4. I always say that I'm not a mystery reader, but I do enjoy them if they are well plotted and this series seems like it might be one that I should try....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wouldn't have said I was an adult mystery reader either! But I tell you, I was glued to the pages, much more engaged than I've been in a long time!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness! I am so excited about this series. I can't wait to read The Cuckoo's Calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you love it as much as I did!

      Delete
  6. Excellent, excellent review! I haven't read these books, or really been all that interested in them, because at the time it was first announced Rowling wrote them I wasn't really reading adult crime novels, and I felt like if I didn't read it before, I maybe shouldn't read it now, purely because she wrote it. I can't remember entirely, but I don't think the premise entirely thrilled me, either.
    BUT. I'm really interested now! This is a really wonderful review and it interested me, made me want to at least try out this book- I'm wondering, do you think it would work skipping the first book for now and just trying the sequel? Would that have much of an effect to the plot and such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was by no means an adult crime novel fan prior to these books. But I love Jo and I will absolutely read anything she writes. And I'm so glad I did because these books are really great! I do think if you're interested, you should start with the first book, which is just as good as the second. Even though they are discrete mysteries, you wouldn't be able to appreciate the development of the characters if you didn't start with the first. Thanks, Romi!

      Delete
    2. Okay, well I'll try that out first and see what I think! Thanks Aylee!

      Delete
  7. I really need to start her adult novels soon, they sound fabulous! Especially the mystery, it sounds like she does an incredible job. I've got the first one in this series waiting patiently on my Kindle.

    Great review, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yay, that's exciting! I would be so interested in hearing what you think. Hope you enjoy the series just as much as I do!

      Delete
  8. yes, I really liked this one as well!! I totally agree about her and mysteries, I can never guess them. I'm so excited for more books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy I honestly can't imagine getting tired of these! As long as the mysteries are kept fresh, there's a ton to explore here.

      Delete