Home       About Me       Review Archive

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Review: Sunrise (Ashfall #3) by Mike Mullin

Publisher: Tanglewood Press
Published: April 15, 2014
Pages: 466
Source: For Review from Tanglewood Press/NetGalley
Rating: 4 Stars


The Yellowstone supervolcano nearly wiped out the human race. Now, almost a year after the eruption, the survivors seem determined to finish the job. Communities wage war on each other, gangs of cannibals roam the countryside, and what little government survived the eruption has collapsed completely. The ham radio has gone silent. Sickness, cold, and starvation are the survivors' constant companions.
When it becomes apparent that their home is no longer safe and adults are not facing the stark realities, Alex and Darla must create a community that can survive the ongoing disaster, an almost impossible task requiring even more guts and more smarts than ever — and unthinkable sacrifice. If they fail . . . they, their loved ones, and the few remaining survivors will perish.

This review is spoiler-free

In short: Sunrise by Mike Mullin is a truly satisfying finale to a riveting series.
It's rare that I get to read a post-apocalyptic novel set after the storm has settled. Most post-apocalyptic reads take place during the height of the apocalypse or shortly thereafter when alarm is high and people are panicking. In this finale to the soberingly realistic Ashfall Trilogy, Sunrise, Alex and Darla and co. are finally faced with the prospect of a future together. Whereas Ashfall and Ashen Winter were about surviving and making it through to the next day, in Sunrise the plot revolves around not simply surviving, but also making a life and community for themselves.

That is not to say that Sunrise is without conflict and peril, however. Mike Mullin knows how to write good action scenes and surprising twists and so, like the previous books before it, Sunrise has plenty of bloodshed and WTF moments. But as its title implies, it is also a cautiously hopeful story. For me, the strength of the trilogy has always lied in the realistic and well-conceived plot and that is no exception in Sunrise. Mike Mullin does his research and creates characters and situations that are as authentic as they are compelling.

I've never been a fan of Mike Mullin's writing style, but I truly can't wait to see what he writes next and I definitely recommend his Ashfall Trilogy. You are guaranteed to fall in love with Alex and Darla and their genuine romance and be impressed with how much the characters and relationships mature and grow over the course of the series. Sunrise is a truly satisfying finale to a riveting series.

Previously, my reviews of Ashfall and Ashen Winter.

Other Reviews:
Book Nerd
Nose Graze
Xpresso Reads

Author Links:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

12 comments :

  1. great review Aylee, i got an arc of this too, just haven't begun reading it yet...... but now excited after reading your review

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yay! I'm glad you enjoyed this ending. I read the first two books so so so long ago... but I am planning on reading Sunrise soonish :) I hope. Anyway. Happy you liked it. <3 thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another series I really need to start! I have the first book. In fact, I think Leanne gave it to me in our Christmas gift exchange the year before last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to pick up this series! Good thing this finished strongly and now all volumes of the books are out so I enjoy them without the long wait. I'll be sure to start this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the oddball when it comes to this one. I personally thought it was the weakest of the series( and that's putting it nicely). Sounds like you definitely enjoyed this one way more than I did. Great review though nonetheless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woot for a satisfying ending. I still haven't started this series, but I want to one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these, but I'm glad to hear it was realistic enough and that the series end was done well. That's always good to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing this series around and know that I need to start reading it. I'm glad that as the series continues it continues to deliver a great story!

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to catch up on this series! I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if Mullin's writing style isn't your favorite. It sounds like there is a lot of plot strength and realism, and I love a hopeful new beginning after an apocalypse. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds very cool, and you're totes right, you never see what happens after, how the dusts settles and people start moving forward again, most of the dystopian books end while things are still pretty dire. so that alone makes this book stand apart!
    :)
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn'T going to read this, until I saw it was spoiler free, since I have only just read the first few pages of Ashen Winter...but I couldn't help it hehe ­>.< I am thrilled that Sunrise wrapped up the trilogy in a satisfactory way for you! I love that you continue to love the characters and the plot, despite the shift in tone here. You've gotten me even more excited to plow through book 2 so I can get into Sunrise! Wonderful review as always Aylee ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although their we're some parts I could live without, I loved this book as well as the last one. I wish there was a more definitive ending though. I hate open endings.
    I like this site :: Alaskan Brown Bear Hunts grizzly

    ReplyDelete