Home       About Me       Review Archive

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Review: Night of Cake and Puppets (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2.5) by Laini Taylor

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: November 26, 2013
Pages: 89
Source: Bought
Rating: 4.5 Stars


In Night of Cake & Puppets, Taylor brings to life a night only hinted at in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy—the magical first date of fan-favorites Zuzana and Mik. Told in alternating perspectives, it’s the perfect love story for fans of the series and new readers alike. Petite though she may be, Zuzana is not known for timidity. Her best friend, Karou, calls her “rabid fairy,” her “voodoo eyes” are said to freeze blood, and even her older brother fears her wrath. But when it comes to the simple matter of talking to Mik, or “Violin Boy,” her courage deserts her. Now, enough is enough. Zuzana is determined to meet him, and she has a fistful of magic and a plan. It’s a wonderfully elaborate treasure hunt of a plan that will take Mik all over Prague on a cold winter’s night before finally leading him to the treasure: herself! Violin Boy’s not going to know what hit him.

In short: Night of Cake and Puppets by Laini Taylor is SO wonderful and I think you should read it.
There are few side characters that I love more than Zuzana and Mik from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy. So when I heard there was a novella that told the story of how Zuzana won Mik's heart, I was IN. Never mind the fact that I very rarely find enjoyment in such heavily romance-driven stories - this IS Laini Taylor we're talking about after all and girl can WRITE! I would read pretty much anything she wrote. That, and I needed something to tide me over until Dreams of Gods and Monsters comes out (only 5 more days now!!).

Can I just take a moment to fangirl over Laini Taylor? You don't mind, do you? Because I love her SO much and I just want the world to know!! And I want everyone who hasn't experienced her writing yet to get on board the Laini-train, pronto! She has an absolutely wicked imagination and an unbelievable way with words. And in her expert prose, Zuzana and Mik come to life with distinct voices and come together with memorable scenes. I am also a massive fan of Laini Taylor's humour and wit and I think Night of Cake and Puppets demonstrates her talent in this area most excellently.

Zuzana and Mik brought the lightness in Days of Blood and Starlight, so just imagine a 90 page novella of heartwarming cuteness and clever hilarity and that's what you get with Night of Cake and Puppets. This novella definitely ranks among my favourites of all time and brought me SO MUCH joy as I was reading it. Night of Cake and Puppets is SO wonderful and I think you should read it.

Previously, my reviews of Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Days of Blood and Starlight.

Other Review:
Lunar Rainbows

Author Links:
Blog
Twitter
Goodreads

15 comments :

  1. I really need to get to this series, stat! pronto! maintenant! I'm missing out a lot especially since the community loves the series so much. And if a novella is as awesome... yup, that's the perfect recipe of an epic ya series right there, folks.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUST READ THIS AYLEE!!! Zuze and Mik are the BEST, even in a series full of shining stars, these two really stand out. They're hilarious and charming and I love their loyalty to Karou, the two of them together just make me happy. Cannot wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Days of Blood and Starlight broke my heart but I loved the light moments featuring these two characters. I hope this novella would be released in print so I can add them to my collection! Thanks for the review, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah!! I downloaded this awhile ago but forgot to read it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you loved this one. I actually have the first two books in this series and I just need to get around to reading them! So many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just downloaded this one too, and wow, any amount of fangirling over Laini Taylor is completely justified. I adore Zuze and Mik! Loved them in Days of Blood and Starlight, and I seriously cannot wait for the last book already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am downloading this one tonight. I have to! I'm not usually a fan of novellas that tell the side characters' stories, but this is Laini Taylor we're talking about and I love Zuze and Mik together! So I'll make an exception :D And I simply cannot wait for Dreams of Gods and Monsters! I don't want to see the series end, but I'm also anxious to see what happens next. Great review, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Your blog design is AWESOME! I don't know if it's new or not since I just returned to the book blogging world, but I am in love with this design. :D It's perfect for the Recovering Potter Addict theme. I am planning to reread the Harry Potter series soon! Yay!

      Delete
    2. Heh, it's not that new, but thanks :)

      Delete
  8. I am totally on the Laini Taylor train already, and am pretty much making it my mission to read everything she's ever written. I adore this series so fiercely! Zuzanna and Mik are my favorite side characters, and I can't wait to read this. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it only five more days until the release of Dreams of Gods and Monsters?! I hope my pre-order arrives quickly ...

    I'm not surprised you found this enjoyable, Aylee. Although Karou only hinted at how Zuzana and Mik got together, it sounded super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome you loved this since it's a novella; those tend to be hit or miss for most people. I haven't read this series yet, but I really want too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm half way into Dreams of Gods and Monsters - how amazing is Laini Taylor? I've not read this novella but I should. Zuze and Mik are so much fun and I love the sound of "heartwarming cuteness and clever hilarity". Great review, Aylee. Am definitely going to have to read this one!

    Kate @ Fictional Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY we are on a novella winning-streak lately :D Gah so much goodness! Your review perfectly summed up all my feelings about Laini Taylor and her gorgeous prose, wicked imagination and amazing characters. Zuzana and Mik were already so endearing and adorable as side-characters...how Miss Taylor managed to surpass herself and make them even more lovable as main-characters is beyond me! Awesome review Aylee ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet, wistful, full of magical first love moments. I wanted to live in this book. A must read by Daughter of Smoke & Bone fans.

    Marlene
    Seattle Horizontal Drilling Company

    ReplyDelete