Home       About Me       Review Archive

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Published: February 4, 2014
Pages: 550
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5 Stars


In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.
Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.
When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

In short: Cress by Marissa Meyer is just as compulsively readable as Cinder and Scarlet and has even more to offer.
I don't know what to say about Cress that I haven't already said about Cinder and Scarlet. Cress delivers on every bit of the exciting adventure, the amusing dialogue, and the totally lovable characters that were present in Cinder and Scarlet. And in some ways, Cress managed to impress me even MORE than the previous books, which I didn't think was possible. It's one thing to have a strong and inventive storyline and a strong point of view like we get in Cinder, but now with Cress, the series has evolved to a multi-layered storyline and numerous POVs and yet it never feels convoluted, which is impressive. Cress is just as compulsively readable as Cinder and Scarlet and yet it has even more to offer.

I absolutely love the strength that Cinder and Scarlet bring to the group, but I think I love Cress most of all because she is more relatable to me personally. She is totally endearing with her social awkwardness and totally realistic with her anxiety. And even though she is not as outwardly strong as Cinder and Scarlet, she is brave in her own way. And when you throw in Thorne (my pretend lover) as the love interest? Well, that's just perfect. Their relationship isn't as heated as Scarlet and Wolf's, but there is a vulnerability and tenderness to it that was just so sweet.

Marissa Meyer has done it again and has proven herself to be a master storyteller in this latest instalment in The Lunar Chronicles. I am blown away with how she manages to keep the series consistently strong, always fast paced, and with never any filler. I love her imagination, I love her humour, and above all, I love her characters. I really cannot wait to return to the gang and have new characters join them! Winter is coming!

Previously, my reviews of Cinder and Scarlet.

Other Reviews:
Megan Likes Books
More Than Just Magic
The Social Potato

Author Links:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Facebook
Goodreads

12 comments :

  1. Well you can be sure I'll be jumping into my copy asap after reading your review! The fact that it surpassed both it's predecessors is suuuper exciting and Cress sounds like the kind of heroine I could totally relate to as well XD

    I'm glad that the storylines are continuing to blend together in a way that, apparently, only Marissa Meyer can accomplish. I'd thought that Scarlet added a whole other dimension in Scarlet (gosh that sounds kind of odd doesn't it?) so I'm thrilled the trend seems to be continuing in Cress! Thanks for another lovely review Aylee ^^ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is why I love this book ---> "the series has evolved to a multi-layered storyline and numerous POVs and yet it never feels convoluted, which is impressive." I can't believe how many characters Meyer is juggling now, and she's kept me invested so thoroughly in all their stories. I'm SO addicted to this series, I can't wait for Winter! Brilliant review Aylee :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pretend lover- I lol'd for read with that one. I thought you would like this one just as much (if not more) than the other two books. I agree 100% about everything you've said in this review. I was excited for Cress after I read Scarlet, but I think I am ever more excited for Winter. The little glimpses we got to see have totally intrigued me. I must know more.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lol-ed with the pretend lover bit!!!
    Also, I'm happy this series keeps going strong! :)
    I think I would identify with Cress a lot more I did with Cinder (haven't read Scarlet).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad you loved this too, Aylee. Cress is a very awkward yet adorable character. I love her lots and everything else in this book. Multiple POV's tend to bore me but it worked out well here in Cress and ohmygosh that ending! <3 I think everyone cannot wait for Winter now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some people were annoyed by Cress, but I completely agree with you. She was brave in her own way and I totally connected with her social awkwardness. I thought she was adorable and the plot in this book is even more solid and endearing than in the previous two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree. I love Cress and Thorne so much! I cannot wait for Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great you just keep loving these books. Sounds like a wonderful, strong series. I'm bad with doing series because of lime limits but I really need to grab these! I can't wait to meet Cress; she sounds super relatable to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still need to write my review for this one but I loved it. Cress made me laugh with her awkwardness and it was great to be reunited with everybody else. I can't wait for Winter either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cress's awkwardness and daydreamy nature really appealed to me. And Thorne! So glad to see more from him.

    "I love her imagination, I love her humour, and above all, I love her characters. I really cannot wait to return to the gang and have new characters join them! Winter is coming!" YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. True - I do agree that despite the many characters and storylines this never does feel convoluted. And that is an impressive feat to achieve here.
    And ha I see that "Game of Thrones" reference there. And I approve. :) I'm definitely excited for Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read this! I'm glad you loved it as much as the first two books and I think Cress sounds like a great character :)

    ReplyDelete