Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday: Penguin Fall 2013 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Penguin Fall 2013 Catalog:

Atlantis Rising by T.A. Barron
Date: September 26, 2013
Add to Goodreads

In a magical land called Ellegandia, a young boy named Promi scrapes by, stealing pies, cakes and sweets to survive. But little does he know that his country is a pawn in an ages-old war between good and evil, battled both in the spirit realm and in the human world. Harboring secrets of his own, Promi teams up with a courageous girl named Atlanta and the two vow to save their land—and each other—no matter the cost. But their vow has greater repercussions than they ever could imagine—in fact, it may just bring about the creation of Atlantis, an island cut off from the rest of the world, where magic reigns supreme.

Atlantis Rising will undoubtedly draw comparisons to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series as it is a Middle Grade book with mythology. It sounds like it's original enough to hold its own though!


Man Made Boy by Jon Skovron
Date: October 3, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Love can be a real monster.
Sixteen-year-old Boy’s never left home. When you’re the son of Frankenstein’s monster and the Bride, it’s tough to go out in public, unless you want to draw the attention of a torch-wielding mob. And since Boy and his family live in a secret enclave of monsters hidden under Times Square, it’s important they maintain a low profile.
Boy’s only interactions with the world are through the Internet, where he’s a hacker extraordinaire who can hide his hulking body and stitched-together face behind a layer of code. When conflict erupts at home, Boy runs away and embarks on a cross-country road trip with the granddaughters of Jekyll and Hyde, who introduce him to malls and diners, love and heartbreak. But no matter how far Boy runs, he can’t escape his demons—both literal and figurative—until he faces his family once more.

Man Made Boy sounds like a book that is not meant to be taken too seriously. I think it has the potential to be a hilarious and fun read! I'm so curious about this one - can't wait to read some early reviews!


This Wicked Game by Michelle Zink
Date: November 14, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Claire Kincaid’s family has been in business for over fifty years.
The voodoo business.
Part of the International Guild of High Priests and Priestesses, a secret society that have practiced voodoo for generations, the Kincaid’s run an underground supply house for authentic voodoo supplies. Claire plays along, filling orders for powders, oils and other bizarre ingredients in the family store, but she has a secret.
She doesn’t believe.
Struggling to reconcile her modern sensibilities with a completely unscientific craft based on suspicion, Claire can’t wait to escape New Orleans – and voodoo – when she goes to college, a desire that creates almost constant conflict in her secret affair with Xander Toussaint, son of the Guild’s powerful founding family.
But when a mysterious customer places an order for a deadly ingredient, Claire begins to realize that there’s more to voodoo – and the families that make up the Guild – than meets the eye.
Including her own.
As she bands together with the other firstborns of the Guild, she comes face to face with a deadly enemy – and the disbelief that may very well kill her.

Ooh, I think there is so much potential when it comes to voodoo! So hopefully This Wicked Game will utilize it to its full potential. It certainly sounds like it will, with the mentions of mysteries, Guilds, and deadly ingredients.


The Twistrose Key by Tone Almhjell
Date: November 19, 2013
Add to Goodreads

When a mysterious parcel arrives at her family’s new home, eleven-year-old Lin Rosenquist has a curious feeling she’s meant to discover what’s inside.
Much to Lin’s surprise, the ornate key contained in the parcel unlocks a spellbinding world called Sylver, hidden behind the cellar door. Sylver is an enchanting land of eternal winter, inhabited by animals that shared a special connection with children in the real world, either as beloved pets or tamed wild animals. In death, they are delivered to Sylver, where they take on a curiously human-like form and still watch over the children they cherish. While Lin is overjoyed to be reunited with her beloved pet, Rufus, she soon learns that the magic of the Petlings and Wilders is failing, and snow trolls want to claim Sylver for themselves. Lin must discover a way to stop them and save this enchanted world.

Oh my. The Twistrose Key sounds like it was made for me! I mean, an enchanted world in which our beloved pets live on after their death to watch over us? Aww, that premise is making me ALL KINDS of sentimental. How lovely. The concept also reminds me a bit of Narnia and The Golden Compass, so that's a plus in my eyes.


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Penguin Fall 2013 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Penguin Fall 2013 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

26 comments :

  1. I have actually only heard of the two YA titles, but the MG ones are new to me! Atlantis Rising sounds really cool and I agree with you, I think fans of Percy Jackson will enjoy it! I totally did not know that Man Made Boy is about Frankenstein, but it sure sounds hilarious! And woah, The Wicked Game sounds.. Well, wicked! I've never read a book about voodoo so that'll be interesting. The Twistrose Key seems adorable! I like the concept of the winter-like heaven...? Great picks this week, Aylee! I hope you get to read at least one of them soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The T.A. Barron book looks like something I would really like – great choice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the covers of The Wicked Game and Twistrose Key! They look beautiful! But I'm especially interested in The Wicked Game. I hope you enjoy them!

    My WoW

    Amber @ My Bookshelf Is Hungry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Michelle Zink's previous series, so I'm excited to see another series from her! Man Made Boy looks like a fun one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many awesome books! I own Zink's other series so I'm curious about her new one. I love all these covers, so pretty! Man Made Boy also sounds very interesting.

    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Wicked Game is already on my TBR list! It looks and sounds SO GOOD! I cannot wait to get my hands on it! Happy reading!
    Waiting on Weds @Libby Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh great picks! Man Made Boy sounds really unique and I'm looking forward to The Wicked Game as well :)
    our WOW

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, the wicked game sounds awesome! I feel like voodoo isn't drawn on too often in YA, so this could be something fun and different :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes Penguin comes out with the best sounding books, and that really sucks because I NEVER get approved for galleys from them! Man Made Boy sounds so interesting, too. Frankenstein has always fascinated me, so it should be cool to see a new take on that classic tale. :) Great picks, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep trying I think Penguin is sort of hit and miss for getting galleys. I've been lucky and snagged a few, but then I've had my share of "no's" from them. Man Made Boy is a recent turndown for me, which is disappointing. It sounds AWESOME!

      Delete
    2. For me, Penguin pretty much always turns me away. But then sometimes I'll get an email after I've been rejected and they'll include a direct link to the NetGalley egalley to download for the book I requested.

      Delete
  10. These books look and sound great. I will be keeping my eye out for them.

    New follower via GFC!

    Check out MY WOW

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG The Twistrose Key sounds so my style, I'm a huge animal lover. I can't believe a book is out there with this premise. Very exciting! Man Made Boy is another book which caught my eye before I read this post, in fact I requested it on Edelweiss, but was turned down. Each title spotlighted here is so inviting. All of them spark my interest. What a great WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound great/ Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi at Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm certainly curious about Man Made Boy. I like how the key characters are children/grandchildren of literary creatures. Fun!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want This Wicked Game so bad... voodoo business? YES. Great picks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! I'm so looking forward to This Wicked Game! Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Atlantis Rising looks intriguing. I haven't seen that one around before. I can't wait to read Man Made Boy. It looks hilarious. And Wicked Game has an awesome cover and voodoo! Great picks!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, yes! I'm excited for all of these, especially The Twistrose Key - that one sounds lovely!

    Fabulous WOW choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting covers and picks.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/waiting-on-wednesday_31.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of these! Man Made Boy sounds like a lot of fun. I love the cover for the Michelle Zink book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, some really great picks! All of them look really good but I can't wait to get my hands on Twistrose Key!

    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the Twistrose key =- I'll have to take a closer look at it since I grabbed it at BEA

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of these are fabulous picks my dear! Atlantis Rising sounds brilliant and I'll be adding it to my TBR shelf as soon as I finish typing this comment :D Man Made Boy sounds really promising and if executed with some humor and flare, I think it could be something special! I'd seen the cover for This Wicked Game many times now but you featuring it made me actually read the synopsis...VOODOO?! Yes please, I haven't read ANY voodoo books but the area seems FULL of potential and that's really exciting!! As for The Twistrose Key, well when I found out about it at BEA I *HAD* to get myself a copy! I'm pumped to read it but I probably won't have time till closer to the release date. D'oh!

    Anyway, I hope you get a copy of all of these soon ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm especially looking forward to Man made boy :D Great picks!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Twisted Key is new to me but it sounds AWESOME. So does Atlantis Rising! I'm on such a fantasy kick at the moment that I'll definitely be adding both of those to my list. Thanks, Aylee! I wouldn't have discovered them without you! :)

    ReplyDelete