Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday: HarperCollins Fall 2013 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the HarperCollins Fall 2013 Catalog:

Find Me by Romily Bernard
Date: September 24, 2013
Add to Goodreads

"Find Me." These are the words written on Tessa Waye's diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa's just been found...dead.
Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target. Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick.
Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick's deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?
Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.
But she's going to find this killer no matter what.
Because it just got personal.

I only just read my first early review for Find Me a few days ago (courtesy of Melissa from i swim for oceans) and it sounds like this one has that perfect blend of mystery and thriller that I love. I haven't read many great mysteries lately, so I'm looking forward to what should be quite a good one!


Black Out by Robison Wells
Date: October 1, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Laura and Alec are trained terrorists.

Jack and Aubrey are high school students.

There was no reason for them to ever meet.

But now, a mysterious virus is spreading throughout America, infecting teenagers with impossible powers. And these four are about to find their lives intertwined in a complex web of deception, loyalty, and catastrophic danger—where one wrong choice could trigger an explosion that ends it all.

A short synopsis, but one that has my complete attention. Black Out sounds like it should be able to bring the intensity of a true thriller. Plus, who doesn't love the teens-with-superpowers stories?


Hideous Love by Stephanie Hemphill
Date: October 1, 2013
Add to Goodreads

An all-consuming love affair.
A family torn apart by scandal.
A young author on the brink of greatness.
Hideous Love is the fascinating story of Gothic novelist Mary Shelley, who as a teen girl fled her restrictive home only to find herself in the shadow of a brilliant but moody boyfriend, famed poet Percy Shelley. It is the story of the mastermind behind one of the most iconic figures in all of literature: a monster constructed out of dead bodies and brought to life by the tragic Dr. Frankenstein.
Mary wrote Frankenstein at the age of nineteen, but inspiration for the monster came from her life-the atmospheric European settings she visited, the dramas swirling around her, and the stimulating philosophical discussions with the greatest minds of the period, like her close friend, Lord Byron.

So this could be interesting. I don't know a ton about Mary Shelley so I am curious to learn more, even if some of Hideous Love is likely to be fictionalized. This one is written in verse though, so I'm a bit wary of that.


Across A Star-Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund
Date: October 15, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Centuries after wars nearly destroyed civilization, the two islands of New Pacifica stand alone, a terraformed paradise where even the Reduction—the devastating brain disorder that sparked the wars—is a distant memory. Yet on the isle of Galatea, an uprising against the ruling aristocrats has turned deadly. The revolutionaries’ weapon is a drug that damages their enemies’ brains, and the only hope is rescue by a mysterious spy known as the Wild Poppy.
On the neighboring island of Albion, no one suspects that the Wild Poppy is actually famously frivolous aristocrat Persis Blake. The teenager uses her shallow, socialite trappings to hide her true purpose: her gossipy flutternotes are encrypted plans, her pampered sea mink is genetically engineered for spying, and her well-publicized new romance with handsome Galatean medic Justen Helo… is her most dangerous mission ever.
Though Persis is falling for Justen, she can’t risk showing him her true self, especially once she learns he’s hiding far more than simply his disenchantment with his country’s revolution and his undeniable attraction to the silly socialite he’s pretending to love. His darkest secret could plunge both islands into a new dark age, and Persis realizes that when it comes to Justen Helo, she’s not only risking her heart, she’s risking the world she’s sworn to protect.

Aw yeah, the companion novel to a 2012 favourite of mine, For Darkness Shows the Stars, is almost upon us! I was so impressed with the writing and characterization in For Darkness so you bet I want to read Across A Star-Swept Sea. Though I will admit to having very limited knowledge of The Scarlet Pimpernel, the book Across A Star-Swept Sea is retelling.


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these HarperCollins Fall 2013 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the HarperCollins Fall 2013 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

28 comments :

  1. HarperCollins has some seriously amazing sounding books coming out for the rest of 2013! Luckily, I already got 3 out of the 4 books up there from EW so I'm good to go! I think I'm the most excited for Black Out, the dystopian just sounds like my type of read. Wonderful post, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, so many awesome books coming out. I need to wipe up my drool xD Thanks for sharing all these!

    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find Me sounds great. I'm glad to hear the first review you've read was positive, as I haven't read anything about it beyond the summary.

    I'm curious about Black Out now too...hadn't heard of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks this week, Aylee! FIND ME is awesome, and I really, really hope you love it as much as I did. Gahhh why must Harper always have such fantastic titles?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard the best things about Find Me myself, but I'm still hoping I enjoy it! The author is super sweet, too. And I had no idea Hideous Love was written in verse. I don't read many verse novels, so I guess I'll just wait to see what everyone thinks of it. Across A Star-Swept Sea sounds brilliant! I haven't read the author's debut novel yet, but I'm hoping to tackle both once Star-Swept Sea is released. :) Great picks, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty much waiting on anything and everything Harper releases, their catalogs are always packed with epicness:) I'm most excited for Across a Star-Swept Sea above, I absolutely adored For Darkness Shows the Stars and can't wait to see what she does with The Scarlet Pimpernel:) Awesome picks Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want Find me as well. Hope you get to read it soon!
    Brandi at Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Across a Star Swept Sea sounds interesting with a lot of world building. I'd really have to be thinking to read that one. :)
    Clean Teen Fiction's WoW
    Clean Adult Fiction's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hideous Love does sound interesting, Frankenstein is one of my favorite classics. Seeing that Across A Star-Swept Sea will be coming reminds me I still need to read the first one!

    Leeanna @ Leeanna.me: My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited for Across a Star Swept Sea! And Black Out and Hideous Love sound interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Across A Star Swept Sea and Black Out are both ones I can't wait to read. Hideous Love sounds interesting as well. I believe that is the first I've heard of it.


    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Black Out sounds amazing, and the tag line for FIND ME sounds creepy. Hope all of these turn out to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for Across the Star Swept Sea and I love that cover. Both Find Me and Black Out sound great, too. Awesome picks!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, what a bunch of exciting picks again this week! I still need to read For Darkness Shows the Stars but Acrossed the Star-Swept sounds brilliant! I simply LOVE the sound of Find Me, Black Out AND Hideous Love - finding out more about Mary Shelley sounds really cool, even if, like you said: some is likely to be fictionalized. Fantastic choices, thanks for bringing these to my attention Aylee :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read anything of Robison Wells but I really want to! Teens with superpowers is always awesome :) I'm going to read the Scarlet Pimpernel (and maybe watch the movie too) just for Across a Star-Swept Sea. I absolutely can't wait for that one!!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! Across a Star-Swept Sea! I'm very much looking forward to that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow!!! THANK YOU for featuring FIND ME!!

    I have grabby hands for HIDEOUS LOVE. And now I have to have BLACK OUT too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Find Me sounds awesome... And of course Across a Star-Swept Sea!


    Here's my WoW

    Jess @ Such A Novel Idea

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm pretty excited for Find Me and the cover A Hideous Love is gorgeous. =D

    ReplyDelete
  20. All these books look so good! I don't even know which one I would read first!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Black Out is definitely on my list... very intrigued by Find Me too!! Great picks, thanks for sharing and thanks so much for stopping by! :)
    Bonnie @ Sweet Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa. I can't wait to hear more about Find Me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, yes, yes, and no. I didn't love For Darkness Shows the Stars, so it's unlikely, I'll be reading the sequel. HarperCollins always has books I want to read. I think they do it to taunt me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm with Ruby, for me is a Yes, yes, yes, nope.
    I didn't like For Darkness Shows the Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have all of these, but I've only started Blackout, and to be honest, the first quarter was a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully it gets better later.
    I am super excited about Find Me, though. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm most excited about Across A Star-Swept Sea from this list because I loved For Darkness Shows the Stars. I saw Melissa's review for Find Me and will probably check that one out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes to ALL of these! HarperCollins has so many fabulous books to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh yes, so incredibly excited for Black Out and For Darkness Shows the Stars! Well, really all of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete