Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Waiting On Wednesday: Macmillan Spring 2013 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which an upcoming, eagerly anticipated release is highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Macmillan Spring 2013 Catalog:

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
Date: May 14, 2013
Add to Goodreads

More than anything, Joel wants to be a Rithmatist. Chosen by the Master in a mysterious inception ceremony, Rithmatists have the power to infuse life into two-dimensional figures known as Chalklings. Rithmatists are humanity’s only defense against the Wild Chalklings—merciless creatures that leave mangled corpses in their wake. Having nearly overrun the territory of Nebrask, the Wild Chalklings now threaten all of the American Isles.
As the son of a lowly chalkmaker at Armedius Academy, Joel can only watch as Rithmatist students study the magical art that he would do anything to practice. Then students start disappearing—kidnapped from their rooms at night, leaving trails of blood. Assigned to help the professor who is investigating the crimes, Joel and his friend Melody find themselves on the trail of an unexpected discovery—one that will change Rithmatics—and their world—forever.

The Rithmatist sounds SO creative and amazing! Plus, I've heard nothing but good things about Brandon Sanderson so I'm curious to see what all the hype is about. Why not start with this one, his YA debut?


Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Date: June 4, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Darkness never dies.
Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Okay, so don't hate me, but I am one of the very few left who hasn't read Shadow and Bone. I'm pretty confident I'll love it though. When the cover for Siege and Storm was released just last week, I decided it was way too pretty not to post!


Mortal Fire by Elizabeth Knox
Date: June 11, 2013
Add to Goodreads

Sixteen-year-old Canny Mochrie's vacation takes a turn when she stumbles upon a mysterious and enchanting valley, occupied almost entirely by children who can perform a special type of magic that tells things how to be stronger and better than they already are. As Canny studies the magic more carefully, she realizes that she not only understands it--she can perform the magic, too, so well that it feels like it has always been a part of her. With the help of an alluring seventeen-year-old boy who is held hostage by a spell that is now more powerful than the people who first placed it, Canny figures out the secrets of this valley and of her own past.

Admittedly, my initial interest in Mortal Fire was that gorgeous cover. Seriously - J'ADORE! But I swear my interest does extend past its cover to its blurb, as well, which is very intriguing indeed!


Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn
Date: June 11, 2013
Add to Goodreads

When you’ve been kept caged in the dark, it’s impossible to see the forest for the trees. It’s impossible to see anything, really. Not without bars...
Andrew Winston Winters is at war with himself.
He’s part Win, the lonely teenager exiled to a remote Vermont boarding school in the wake of a family tragedy. The guy who shuts all his classmates out, no matter the cost.
He’s part Drew, the angry young boy with violent impulses that control him. The boy who spent a fateful, long-ago summer with his brother and teenage cousins, only to endure a secret so monstrous it led three children to do the unthinkable.
Over the course of one night, while stuck at a party deep in the New England woods, Andrew battles both the pain of his past and the isolation of his present.
Before the sun rises, he’ll either surrender his sanity to the wild darkness inside his mind or make peace with the most elemental of truths—that choosing to live can mean so much more than not dying. 

Charm & Strange sounds like a pretty crazy psychological thriller, but it also seems like it has a lot of depth and meaning. And I like that in a book!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Macmillan Spring 2013 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Macmillan Spring 2013 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

32 comments :

  1. I love your picks! I'm so adding them to my TBR-pile! Thanks! I haven't read Shadow and Bone though!

    Von
    Mr. Book Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have some awesome picks here! Siege & Storm sounds like a great read, as does The Rithmatist. I love Brandon Sanderson's books. :) Mortal Fire looks like an amazing read as well. Great picks!

    My WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to Siege & Storm too! Great picks.

    Kat
    www.katsbookbuzz.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charm & Strange sounds good. Thanks for sharing your picks!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to get my hands on Charm & Strange, that one sounds really good and oddly I am a fan of the cover in it's own simple & bleak way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SIEGE & STORM AYLEE!!!! I cannot wait for that book! I need more Alina. And Mal. AND THE DARKLING! Charm & Strange looks super interesting as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mortal Fire sounds so good! And I still need to read Shadow & Bone but the cover of Siege & Storm is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have Brandon Sanderson on my list, too, although not the same book! He is an amazing author, so I do hope you will enjoy it once you read one of his books (this one of another!) And the cover of Mortal Fire is beautiful. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty much loving the sound of all of these! Especially S&S and C&S!

    Great WOW choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charm and Strange sounds exactly like my kind of read, dark and exciting. I've never seen it before so thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy! your picks!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/03/waiting-on-wednesday_1088.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard good things about Siege and hope you get to read it soon.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just loving your picks again this week Aylee :-D The Rithmatist (obviously lol) it sounds brilliant <3 Siege and Storm looks amazing. Admitedly I still haven't read Shadow and Bone...but it's on my wishlist! You're right, Mortal Fire sounds as good as it looks! And Charm & Strange looks super trippy but brilliant. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't waaaaait for Siege and Storm <3 Mortal Fire is new to me, I've added it to my never ending list on Goodreads. Thanks for sharing :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh The Rithmatist sounds pretty cool! I didn't realise Brandon Sanderson had a young adult book coming out soon! I'll have to add that one to the list. And Siege and Storm is brilliant. You will LOVE Shadow and Bone. Or, at least, you better!

    Heh. Just kidding. (sort of!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was already excited to read Siege and Storm, but now I'm definitely also adding the Rithmatist to my TBR pile. It sounds awesome! Thanks for introducing me to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many awesome books! I haven't read any of Sanderson's books yet, but this one sounds so cool. I need to read Shadow & Bone so I can read Siege & Storm. Thanks for sharing all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh it's the first I hear of Charm & Strange it looks good! Siege and Storm was not as good as the first but you're much bigger on fantasy than I am! Great picks, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love these catalog posts of yours, Aylee! :D They're awesome! I'm really excited for Charm and Strange! And hopefully I can start Leigh Bardugo's series soon...it sounds SO GOOD! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Rithmatist sounds beyond awesome. I like the foreshadowing of the world that makes it sound like a post-apocalyptic America. And of course Siege and Storm! AHH I can't wait for it.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a couple of these on my TBR list already! Great picks!
    New follower!
    ~Ashley
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am way excited for Siege and Storm. I want to see what the Darkling is up to next.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No worries, I haven't read Shadow and Bone yet either! I really want too though. I like the covers as well. Thanks for another fun WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to read shadow and bone still!! Should probably be reading instead of surfing. oh well, never mind!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't heard of any of these! But Charm & Strange looks pretty good! I did read the first book in the Leigh Bardugo series, but I wasn't the biggest fan. It was great, but I feel like it was missing something.

    Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These all sound awesome! And I'm loving the covers. I can't wait any longer! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. As usual, I haven't heard of any of these :/ Haha, that's one of the things I really miss about working in a bookstore - always being "in the loop", but I also find it less overwhelming because there always something coming out!

    Charm & Strange sounds really good - I love psychological thrillers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've only heard of Siege and Storm from this list but I'm dying to get my hands on that. I loved Shadow and Bone, and you need to get around to reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. GET TO SHADOW AND BONE! I'm so excited about Siege and Storm. The cover is stunning and oh my goodness can I get it now please? Teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These all sound really great... I like your choices! ... New follower... and also recovering Potter addict, your banner is so cute XD

    http://littlesqueed.blogspot.com/2013/03/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete