Home       About Me       Review Archive

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Review: Broadway Musicals

Please don't feel like you have to read and comment on this post if you really could care less about Broadway Musicals! But I'm really quite obsessed with them so I thought I'd write up a short review summary of all the musicals I saw during my trip to NYC, just in case anyone is interested.


How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying
An amazing production! This show really had the whole package: an impressive set, fun musical numbers, and fantastic acting performances. Dan Radcliffe is not the best singer, but what he lacked in singing, he made up for in sheer enthusiasm (and pretty impressive dancing) that was a delight to watch. John Larroquette was also brilliant with the most spot-on comedic timing. I was absolutely unable to stop myself from jumping out of my seat in applause after certain musical numbers. Highly entertaining and highly recommended!
(Website)

Priscilla Queen of the Desert
This musical was about three drag queens who travel from Sydney to the middle of the Australian Outback in a bus they've nicknamed Priscilla. Suffice it to say, it was probably the gayest thing I've ever seen. I loved it! It was totally fun! I still had glitter in my hair the next day from when it rained down on the audience. The costumes were definitely a highlight; they were absolutely outrageous and exaggerated and fun. It was also incredibly funny, though definitely not suitable for younger viewers.
(Website)



Rock of Ages
Also very fun! (Although, a small disclaimer: I'm easily amused by all musicals). This musical's plot seemed to be taken directly from the song "Don't Stop Believin'" and was about a boy from Detroit and a girl from a small town who are trying to make it in the business in Hollywood in 1987. The music was all 80s rock music, and though I wasn't terribly familiar with it (it's a bit before my time), it was still incredibly entertaining. Also fun: those costumes. Oh, people from the 80s, what were you thinking?
(Website)




Wicked
I've already seen Wicked the last time I went to New York, but I just had to see it again. It is, truly, one of the best musicals of all time and absolutely MUST be seen by everyone at least once in their lifetimes (overly dramatic statement, I know). It really is the ultimate Broadway Musical, complete with setting, performances, musical numbers, and humour that is perfect for all ages. The amount of talent exhibited especially by Elphaba and Glinda is just beyond belief. A must see!
(Website)




The Book of Mormon
Holy crap. Definitely my favourite show I saw during my trip. This musical was about two Mormon missionaries who get sent on a mission to Uganda. Created by the guys who created South Park and the guy who wrote Avenue Q, this musical had a very similar feel (Read: incredibly hilarious and most definitely offensive). I wouldn't recommend this musical to everyone... certainly if this kind of incredibly offensive humour is not your "thing" then I would not recommend it. Listen to a couple of the musical numbers here and here before buying tickets if you're not sure.
(Website)



Billy Elliot
Good grief, the kids in this show were insanely talented. Like, way more talented than I will be at any age. Each major child role is played by multiple kids and rotated every night. I can't speak for the other Billys (though I'm sure they're brilliant too) but Peter Mazurowski was my Billy and he was awesome! He had it all: dancing, acting, singing, and the ability to talk with a convincing English accent, which is pretty impressive. This was a very well done adaptation of one of my favourite movies!
(Website)

22 comments :

  1. Billy Elliot was fun, but WICKED was amazing!! Have you seen Rent? Phantom of the Opera? Les Miserables is going to be on tour this summer so you should check if they have it where you live!

    Nice to meet someone who doesn't just like HP but broadway musicals too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! You have seen a lot of musicales - I've only seen the Producers, here in my city, as musical theater isn't really popular.

    I still can't imagine Harry Potter singing and dancing, but I'm glad you liked it. I would LOVE to see Wicked, though I don't think they'll ever bring it here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool that you've seen all these! I used to have season tickets to our town's broadway series so I've seen tons, but not for awhile. I love Wicked. I really want to see Dan Radcliffe. I think it's not so important to be a good singer if you're enthusiastic and you try hard. I saw Little House on the Prairie (the musical) with Melissa Gilbert as Ma. She can't sing, but it was so cool to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew Harry( Daniel) could sing...what a cute little montage:D

    Michelle A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you saw a lot! They all look like so much fun. I have to say, there's just something about musicals that makes me happy. Daniel Radcliffe looks so tiny :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh they all sound so good. Book of Mormon sounds really funny!! And my Mom has seen Wicked and loved it so that is one I definitely need to see if I ever get out to NY. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Aylee! You saw so many great musicals! I absolutely adore Wicked, it's one of my all time favorites. I just recently saw Phantom of the Opera for the 3rd time, I just can't get enough of that one:) You've really got me wanting to see How to Succeed now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUDE. Musicals are my LIFE. I've been performing since age 6! I'm so jealous that you got to see all these wonderful shows! That's the one thing I missed in NY--seeing a Broadway play! Great write-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doooooood! No way you got to go to all these Broadway shows! Amazing. I'm super jelly, Aylee. I can count the few I've been to on one hand. I can't wait to check out more. I think I'd especially love Wicked and Rock of Ages! I'd also like to check out something with Neil Patrick Harris.

    I've heard that Dan Radcliffe is pretty passionate about Broadway. I think that is awesome.

    Do you watch So You Think You Can Dance? The Broadway performances are some of my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww...I live in Wales. Broadway is so FAR :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect timing. The hubby and I are planning a trip out to NYC this summer to visit friends and see The Book of Mormon. I'm still deciding what else to see and this helps!

    I agree about Wicked, and the music is incredible. I'd like to see Daniel Radcliffe in something - we had tickets to see him in Equus a few years back but I ended up not being able to go out of town after all. BOO.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've seen all of these?! I don't think I've ever been more jealous of anybody IN MY LIFE! I'm completely dying to see the Book of Mormon. I hope they win at the Tony's. I just saw the national tour of Wicked for the second time last week and it was, of course, amazing. I saw Spring Awakening last year and it was also mind-blowing. I'm such a Broadway geek, it would be amazing to actually see a show on Broadway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG geez, how on earth did you afford all this? :P

    But anyways, I really want to see Priscila. Already saw Dan. He was cute, but I saw La Cage a few days before and that was just phenomenal. Too bad that it closed before you got a chance to see it. It would have been cool to compare two shows with drag queens!

    Haven't had a chance to see Book of Mormon yet. I probably should before it wins any Tonys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only musicals I've seen were Aida, CATS, Dance of the Vampires, RENT and Phantom of the Opera. I've heard great things about these though! Great reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jillian: RENT is my favourite musical EVER! I've never seen Les Miserables but would love to! Unfortunately, shows that tour the US don't come up to Canada. Yup, I'm a multi-interest person, not just HP :)

    Alex: Bummer that you don't really get to see musicals in your city. I do occasionally, during the Broadway Across Canada Tours but it's just not the same as seeing them on Broadway. I hear they will be making a Wicked movie so look out for that!

    Alison: Definitely. Dan Rad just had so much charisma. And he was a pretty good singer too, just not AMAZING. Very funny though and great dance moves.

    Michelle A: I think most actors/actresses are multi-talented or at least can fake it really well. As long as they get trained by professionals.

    Small: Oh yes, I am always incredibly happy when watching musicals. There's just something inherently delightful about them. And yes, he is quite short.

    Bailey: Yes, you absolutely must see Wicked. No rush though. Wicked will always be on Broadway. Seriously, after years and years, they still have sold out performances in a huge theatre and really fantastic, talented performers.

    Jenny: I've never seen The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, only the movie (which I loved). Definitely make a point to see How To Succeed if you can before it closes in... I want to say December?

    Lauren: Oh, no way! That makes me incredibly jealous. I am simply a watcher of musicals, not a partaker. I wish I could sing! But too bad you didn't have time while you were in NYC!

    Missie: They're making both WIcked and Rock of Ages into movies so you can see them then if you don't find the time. I would love to see a musical with NPH; he was great on Glee. Love SYTYCD!! It is my American Idol. But you know, with way better judges and host.

    Laura: Broadway is awfully far away from where I live too. I'm so jealous of people who live nearby who get to go whenever they want.

    Logan: I sure it helps! I'm pretty biased, like I said, because I love all musicals and the way they make me feel. Though I'm very much more of a musical theatre person, I would have liked to have seen Dan in his play. I hear his acting was impressive.

    Stephanie: Heh, I would be jealous of me too. I'm pretty sure The Book of Mormon will win. They don't seem to have any competition, really. Absolutely LOVED Spring Awakening. I saw it with the original cast (with all those kids on Glee). It twas very cool. I'm a bit of a Broadway snob. AS good as musicals are when seen in tours and local theatres, they just cannot complete with the talent you can see on Broadway.

    Cialina: Heh, yeah, we spent about $1,200 on musicals between two people. And that was with getting discount tickets every day. It's definitely a very expensive hobby, but I can't tell you how much joy I get from it. I won't return to NYC from many years now, and be saving up for it every day. Oh, that would have been cool to see La Cage to compare! Good luck getting tickets to see The Book of Mormon. From what I understand, it's booked solid until August. We lucked out and got cancellation tickets the day of.

    Melissa: CATS was super fun when I saw it in a touring company. Very whimsical. I've never even heard of Dance of the Vampires, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gahhhh I LOVE musicals!!! My current Musical obsession is Jekyll and Hyde. The music is gorgeous and epic all at the same time. Kind of like Les Miserables. Just awesome.

    You are so lucky you saw Wicked, Billy Elliot, AND H2$!!! So jealous. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, thanks for the rec! I'll have to check out Jekyll and Hyde. I also need to at least rewatch Les Miserables, the movie, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I love musicals. Me and my sister are addicted to it. Last year I was in London and I saw Wicked and Sister Act. Both where fantastic shows. :) Wicked is sooo cool and I'm so happy that it comes here in Holland too. Also Miss Saigon. Yay!!! Me and my family already have tickets for the musical Zorro. I hope it's good. I love this post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG Rent is my favorite musical too!! Ahhhh HP geek and a RENT head!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nina: Musicals are for sure my second addiction after HP (Oh, and I suppose reading is another addiction of mine). Glad you got to see Wicked at the London production! And very cool that it sounds like a travelling production to Holland. It's so nice that even though the ultimate place for musicals is NYC, one can still enjoy musicals in their own city. As much as I would love to make my way to NYC as often as possible, it just isn't cheap!

    Jillian: I just love the story, the characters, and the rock music in RENT. So amazing. I've seen it twice on Broadway, once in a DVD Broadway recording, and then the movie adaptation, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love musicals! I saw Radcliffe on The Tony's. I thought he had a fantastic voice! Don't put him down, lady!! He fits the role perfectly. Would love to see him the show...but alas I don't think I will make it to Broadway. Would love to see Rock of Ages with Constantine, too. Book of Mormon does look good. Not surprised you liked it, since it swept the Tony's. I saw Wicked on the road show. It was awesome! Can't wait to see Million Dollar Quartet (know it's not listed, but thought I would mention it). I would like to see Company...wow that has so many stars in it, plus Neil Patrick Harris!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw, I only meant that his voice wasn't amazing. It was certainly really good, but not of the highest of Broadway standards. But yeah, he fit the role very well, I thought.

    ReplyDelete